The Bendy Straw
Has there ever been a greater invention than the bendy straw? I think not. I love bendy straws. They are the official straw of Citizens everywhere!
Here are some things you probably didn’t know about straws and the uber straw: the bendy!
- The earliest known straws were used by the Sumerians to drink beer!
- A gold straw was found in a Sumerian tomb dated back to 3,000 BC.
- Rye straws were popular until the late 1800’s when Marvin C. Stone invented the paper straw to drink his mint juleps.
- Straws reduce tooth decay.
- The Bendy Straw was invented by Joseph Friedman in 1937. He got the idea watching his daughter try to drink from a traditional straw at the Varsity Sweet Shop in San Francisco.
So I am declaring today, National Bendy Straw day. There is a Drinking Straw Day on January 3rd. However, the Bendy Straw deserves it’s own day, I tell you! It is one of our greatest American inventions. —along with Lycra apparel, instant replay, and baseball.
Carry on, Citizens!